About the Post

Author Information

Wendy is an IFE Agent responsible for aggregating airline news specifically related to Inflight entertainment. She compiles stories relevant to business travelers, airline industry folks, marketers and tech geeks. IFE News doesn't create original content, but rather posts compelling editorial from global media outlets.

Only 31% of Domestic Flights Have Wi-Fi, Study Finds

By Hugo Martin

On the streets of most cities, access to wireless Internet is as ubiquitous as coffee shops. But on domestic airlines, Wi-Fi is still only available on about a third of flights.

A new study by the flight rating website Routehappy.com found that 31% of all domestic flights offered wireless access as of Sept. 17, while the other 69% didn’t.

To improve your chances of getting in-flight Wi-Fi access, you’ll need to shop around for the right airline.

For example, Burlingame, Calif.-based Virgin America and Dallas-based AirTran Airways offer wireless Internet access on 100% of their flights, according to Routehappy. Among larger carriers, Delta has Internet on about 65% of its flights, while Southwest offers it on 37% of its flights.

On the other end of the scale are airlines such as American (22% of its flights), US Airways (8%) and United (0.5%), according to Routehappy. United hopes to improve its ranking: It has announced plans to install satellite-based Wi-Fi on the rest of its fleet by the end of 2015.


Link to Original Article

Tags: , , , , , , ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: